"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Monday, May 6, 2024

The Children's Library Tall Tales series

One of the benefits of this summer reading challenge is that it encourages me to check out books that I would never have stumbled upon before.  And that certainly was the case wtih this cute little series of tall tales by The Child's World.  I was just getting settled into my routine following Kilbronson's departure when Ahmed burst into the library and dumped this stack onto my desk.  I didn't realize it at the time, but he had brought me a series of little treasures.

Each book features a different "larger than life" figure from the tall tales, some who were real (although exaggerated) and some who were not.  As far as I can tell, the series contains eight volumes:
  • Alfred Bulltop Stormalong
  • Calamity Jane
  • Casey Jones
  • John Henry
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • Molly Pitcher
  • Paul Bunyan
  • Pecos Bill
And I read them all in one or two afternoons.  I had heard of all these characters before (with the exception of Molly Pitcher who was completely new to me).  I had also heard of Casey Jones and Calamity Jane, but I couldn't tell you a thing about them (until I read their books, that is!)  All in all, the series was delightful, and I think they are a great introduction for children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)