"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Sunday, May 11, 2014

Summer Reading 2014

Summer is finally here!  And it could not have come fast enough.  With my job and classes, I found that I rarely had time to spend with my friends or do anything fun.  It was just work, work, work.  Even my Spring Break was one long week of playing "catch up" on the projects and assignments I didn't do earlier in the semester.

I'm tired.  I think that sums up my feelings right now rather well.  I'm tired, but excited for the chance to spend some more time doing fun things, blogs, catching up with friends, spending time outside, and of course: reading!

I've done some thinking about what I wanted to do for this summer's reading theme, and I believe I've settled on a suitable one.  It's a mystery.

No, that's not me being coy.  The theme of this summer's reading is going to be "It's a Mystery".  A focus of course, on the mystery novel.  Alternate titles I went through before settling on this one were:
  • The Butler Did It
  • Death of a Writer
  • A Cozy Mystery
  • Killing Lovborg's Child (a reference to the play Hedda Gabler--the "child" is a manuscript)
  • Miss Scarlet, in the Library, with the Candlestick
In all cases, the spirit of it all is the same.  This is going to be a summer of mysteries!  I've been collecting mysteries that I want to check out for a while.  Here's just a small sampling of what I have planned:
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
  • Anything Sherlock Holmes (both Conan Doyle and various adaptations)
  • The Joseph Rouletabille stories by Gaston Leroux
  • The Arsene Lupin stories by Maurice Leblanc
  • The Father Brown Stories by GK Chesterton
  • The Flavia de Luce stories by Alan Bradley
  • The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Granted, this list is a bit ambitious, but I'm just hoping to at least sample each series.  You never know what you'll like and what you won't.  Be sure to check in periodically, where I'll be keeping you up to date on what I'm reading and what I plan on reading next.  As always suggestions are most welcome!

Until next time,

em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)