"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Monday, June 13, 2016

The Big Boss

So, I have a performance review coming up.  And that always gets me thinking about my ultimate end-game for my career.  The more I work in a library, the more I realize that the only mobility after librarian (the next step up from my current position) is manager.  And the more I think about it, the more I think I might want to be a manager.  I want to be the big boss.

Naked Snake AKA "Big Boss" (Metal Gear Solid)
Okay, maybe not that Big Boss...but I want to be the boss.  Normally, this is not something I would ever consider.  I have always hated being in charge, because I would always butt heads with someone bigger, louder, or older than me, and that power I grasped for a split second would fizzle out.  Then, I had a couple of really frustrating group projects in grad school.  And I realized that being the group leader (aka, the boss) was actually pretty nice.  Being in a position of power, doling out the tasks to everyone, actually gave me a sense of satisfaction in a job well done, and allowed me to keep things organized.  It was very freeing.  Sure, the group didn't always listen to me, but that was because we were all on the same authority level.  The only difference was that I assigned tasks.  Being a real boss means that I actually am in charge.

And being in charge means I get a gold statue of myself, right?
So, I'm hoping to talk to my current managers about getting some management experience.  I don't want to leave my library, and I don't intend to, but if a management position opens up, I want to be able to apply for it.  Heck, if a librarian position opens up, I would like to be able to apply for it, and I believe that showing some initiative in the management portion will look good for me in an interview.

So, yeah...that's what's going on with me.  Until next time, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)