"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Saturday, May 14, 2022

Summer Reading 2022


Welcome to another Summer Reading post!  Last year's theme, A Summer at Sea was so much fun that I actually considered creating themes for my Fall and Winter reading, as well.  But, I didn't.  Summer Reading is a sacred thing, and I don't want to mess with something that's not broken.

So, it's pretty much summer again, and I'm preparing for my next theme.  I've hashed out multiple themes over the last few months, including Haunted Houses, Adventure Stories, Fairy Tales, and The Foreign Legion, but nothing felt quite right.  Then, quite by chance, the perfect idea fell into my lap.

It may come as a surprise to you that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote more than just Sherlock Holmes stories.  In fact, he wrote tons of novels, short stories, and scientific treatises on a variety of topics, from historical fiction to military history to spiritualism.  Now, normally, I won't make one author my Summer Reading theme, since their work tends to be somewhat similar to itself, and I get bored.  But, with such a wide array of topics such as this, I know that I'll have plenty to keep me occupied for months!

So, welcome to this month's Summer Reading Theme: Teatime With Arthur!  Otherwise known as reading the writings of Arthur Conan Doyle!

For the curious reader, who has been following along for a while, here is a rundown of my themes so far:

  • 2010: Gothic Novels
  • 2011: Scary Stories and Mythical Monsters
  • 2012: A Summer in Middle Earth
  • 2013: Summer School
  • 2014: It's a Mystery!
  • 2015: To Read or Not to Read
  • 2016: Professional Fan-Fiction
  • 2017: [Skipped this year]
  • 2018: Monster Mash
  • 2019: [Skipped this year]
  • 2020: [Skipped this year]
  • 2021: A Summer at Sea
  • 2022: Teatime with Arthur

And as always, if you want to keep up with ALL my readings for the summer (and beyond!) you can follow me on Goodreads.

Summer Reading starts Memorial Day, but I'll be adding a Summer Reading Prelude this year, for the next two weeks until the big day!  I hope you'll join me--grab a cup of tea and a Conan Doyle book (Sherlock or otherwise!) and get ready to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)