"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Friday, May 3, 2024

The Camping Trip that Changed America (Barb Rosenstock)

As Kilbronson and Ahmed gathered books for me to read for this year's summer reading selection, we had decided that we'd go on an adventure together, out into the American wilds, looking for new books to read.  But, I got sick, coming down with an early summer cold, and was confined to my rooms until further notice.

As Kilbronson and Ahmed brought me my latest book, a truly enjoyable picture book featuring the real-life meeting between Theodore Roosevelt and John Muir, they offered their suggested plan: Since I was unable to go out, Kilbronson, who always fancied himself something of an explorer, would go in my stead, sending back books for me until I was well enough to join him.  Meanwhile, Ahmed would stay behind, as both my librarian and nursemaid, digging into my extensive personal collection for anything that might fit into the theme while I rested.  It seemed like a lovely idea.  And so, Kilbronson met up with a fur trader named DéFago and went off into the wilderness alone.

Ahmed and I, meanwhile, enjoyed Barb Rosenstock's wonderful book together.

Now, I've always been a fan of Theodore Roosevelt.  The man was larger than life and always looks so happy.  If I could meet any president and shake his hand, it would have been Teddy.  And reading about his love of the outdoors and how he created the national parks system only makes me love him more.

I've actually read this book before (this was my third time) and each reading has been a treat.  The story is that Roosevelt read a book by naturalist John Muir, and was so stirred by Muir's call to action that he wrote to him and asked for a camping excursion together.  The two had a wonderful time, and Muir taught Roosevelt (who was already an outdoorsman) all he needed to know about the beautiful wilderness that was currently in danger.  So, they established the national parks system.  It's a really cool read, beautifully illustrated, and a lot of fun.  My favorite part is when Roosevelt and Muir enjoy a campfire conversation before bed, and Muir shares how he attempted to scare off a bear.  No one gets hurt, but someone is certainly embarrassed.  It was a fun anecdote.

I'm asking Ahmed to find me some more books by John Muir and Theodore Roosevelt while we wait to see what Kilbronson will send back on his travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)