"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Ever since I was little, my dad has been one of the most important people in my life.  He was my mentor, my teacher, my own personal comedian, and my friend.  But, more than any of those things, he was and still is, my hero.  And I know he doesn't read this blog, and probably never will, but I just want to say how important he is to me.  We might not always get along or see eye-to-eye, but he means more to me than just about anyone else.  He's one of my all-time favorite people, and so much of what I am is a result of what he has done for me.

But, there are other father figures in my life as well....And I'd like to take a moment to recognize them all in turn:

  • My late grandfather T.L.M., who was my hero as a child.  He was a war veteran and one of the strongest men I know.  Even though he passed when I was still young, there are still so many things that remind me of him on a daily basis.  Thank you, Grandpa, for being my hero, too.
  • My other grandfather P.J.H., who is one of the most generous men I know.  I have had so many wonderful experiences because of this man, and have learned so much.  Beautiful and funny memories abound.  Thank you, Dziager*, for being there for me for so long. [*Dziager is Polish for grandfather]
  • O.F., my blogging father/grandfather.  Even though we have never actually met in person, I can tell that he is a great man, and I'm so grateful for the chance to be in contact with him.  His honest wisdom always amazes me, and makes me wish that I could be a philosopher like him.  Thank you, O.F.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Emmy, you made me blush.

    I had three grandfathers all of which were great. If I am thought of as a good grandpa when I pass back to the element pool from which I came I will be quite satisfied.

    My father had other things on his agenda right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. My step dad was the best there ever was. I hope I'm at least half as good.

    I was just thinking of you yesterday while reading "The Adventure of the Yellow Face" a Sherlock Holmes I had not read. I thought that it was good as Sherlock usually is until I got to the end then it became an outstanding story. I don't believe there could have been a better ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day, O.F. :) And I think I'll have to check out this Sherlock Holmes story, now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)