"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Reading Prep 2013

My graduation from college is less than a week away.  And I'm already thinking about my summer reading challenge for the year. (Are you surprised??  I'm an English major who is going to be working in a library!)  So, that being said, it's time to start thinking about what I want my summer reading theme to be.  And also, how to establish the boundaries of what summer is for me (since I won't be going back to school for a little while).

To start: summer boundaries.  For summer 2013, summer starts after I graduate and will end with my brother returning to college in the fall (which is basically where my summer would end if I was going back as well.)  I'm going to hopefully start a graduate program in the spring.  So, Summer 2014 will be bookended by my graduate classes.  For now, that's all the summer I'm going to try and figure out.

And right now, my biggest question is what my reading theme will be for the summer.  Here are a few of my ideas.  Please feel free to tell me what you think of these/add your own.  Since I've started this blog, I've had three summers worth of reading themes.  Just to refresh your memory, they were:

2010: Gothic Novels
2011: Scary Stories/Mythical Monsters
2012: A Summer in Middle Earth
2013: ????

And here are some possible themes for this summer:
Summer at Sea: Maritime novels and stories (ie. Moby Dick, Treasure Island, Typee)
Summer School: All those books I didn't read for class after all... (Lolita, The Sound and the Fury, Bleak House)
Summer of Psychos: Watching horror movies and reading the books which inspired them (The Exorcist, Psycho, The Shining)
A One-Author Summer: Choose to focus theme on the writings of just one person (John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Jeanette Winterson)

So!  Just let me know which of these themes you like (or if you have another awesome one, please suggest it!  When you give me a theme, try to include a few book titles as well, so I have an idea of what sort of reading this would be!  I'll be posting a poll in the sidebar, and will announce my theme a week from today!)

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

2 comments:

  1. all of these themes sound great! but i do think all the books you didn't read for school is definitely the funniest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your movie based reading idea. Right now I am reading the book that Die Hard is based on, and it is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)