"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Anime Year in Review (Part 2)

Moving on with my anime viewing...Summer brought up a whole host of great series, including School Rumble, Cowboy Bebop, Nichijou, Pokemon Origins, Spice and Wolf, and Steins;Gate.

School Rumble is one of my all-time favorite anime.  It's one of those series that I could watch again and again, and you get so emotionally involved and attached to the characters.  I was super disappointed to learn that there will not be a third season, not even in Japan, but all the same, I'm glad I watched as much as I did, and I'm looking forward to checking out the manga, so I can complete the story.

Tenma
This series is a strange love triangle.  Tenma loves Karasuma. Harima loves Tenma.  Karasuma loves curry.  Or, to put it another way: ditsy girl falls for the dullest guy in her class.  The school delinquent falls for her.  And neither dull guy or girl has any idea that someone likes them.  Add in tons of love triangles in the background, a girl who can read the minds of guys who like her, and ridiculously improbable situations, and you have School Rumble.  This is one of those series that is hard to explain in any great detail, because I'll either spoil it for you or introduce you to waaay more information than you were looking for.  But, either way, it is incredibly fun.

Cowboy Bebop is at the other end of the spectrum.  While School Rumble is beyond silly, this series is much more serious.  The tone can get very dark at times, but all in all, this was another engaging series that I really enjoyed watching.  I've just requested a couple copies of the manga from the library, so hopefully, I can go back and revisit this classic series again.

Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, and Ein

Cowboy Bebop follows intergalactic bounty-hunter Spike Spiegel and his crew (tough-guy Jet, double-crossing Faye, computer-wiz Ed, and their super-smart dog Ein).  The group has a ton of misadventures and at various points, are forced to confront elements from their pasts.  As I said, it's not all fun and games, but while gritty, this is considered a classic anime, and if you are looking for the classics, then this is one to start with.  Plus, Steve Blum voices Spike in the English dub, and he's one of the best voice actors out there.

Spike and Cowboy Andy
Watching Bebop can be pretty emotional, and even bleak at times, but then you get to an episode like the one starring Cowboy Andy (I will say nothing more on the topic) and then you are so glad that you took the time.

So, sit back, relax, pick up a new anime, and tell me what you think!  And stay tuned, because Part 3 will be coming your way very soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)