"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Sunday, June 30, 2019

Wise Blood Update #1

In my last blog post, I wrote that I was hoping to talk about the books that I'm reading.  In my original blog posts, waaaay back when I started writing in college, I would talk about the books I was reading, both on their own, and in the context of my own life.  I'd like to get back into doing that.

To start with, I thought I'd look at the book I'm currently reading (actually, listening to on audio!), Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor.

Before I say too much, I want to preface this post by saying that I have NOT finished the book yet.  I've read most of it, but not all of it.  So, please refrain from spoilers in your comments (if you so choose to comment).


To ease us back into things, and since this book is so darn weird, I thought it might be best to just show y'all the trailer for the 1979 movie, and see what you think.  (As far as I can tell, it's pretty accurate).  I'm trying to figure out a lot of it, myself.  I've been told that Flannery O'Connor writes comedy.  Meaning, that this is supposed to be a funny book.  From my reading, I can see that it's dark and strange, and there's a ton going on.  Sure, I get a few chuckles now and the, but this is no belly-laughing Wodehouse tome.

Still, watch the trailer and let me know what you think.  I'll be posting more from our good friend Ms. Flannery real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)