"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Friday, October 7, 2016

31 Days of Halloween #7




Today, I would like to share one of my all-time favorite movies.  While not a horror film, per se, this creepy, atmospheric, and surprisingly funny film is one that should be watched at least once, and then again and again.  About a day or so after borrowing it from my local library, I went to the store and bought myself a copy.  I have absolutely no regrets.

Delicatessen is a fascinating tale of a post-apocalyptic world.  We are introduced to the residents of an apartment building, owned and run by a butcher known as Clapet.  When a drifter, and former circus performer, Louison turns up on Clapet's doorstep, he's given a room and a job as a handyman around the building.  What he doesn't realize, though, is that Clapet and the rest of the tenants have a craving for meat in a world where food is scarce.  And when circumstance presents drifters, loners, and the like to the apartment, Clapet prepares all of his guests a sumptuous feast of the poor, cannibalized individual.  There is a hitch in Clapet's plans, however, when his nearsighted daughter falls in love with Louison, and tries to warn him of the danger that is waiting for him if he stays any longer. 


This hilarious, suspenseful, and artistic film includes two of my favorite French actors, and my favorite French director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet.  As for the actors, they played the roles of Clapet and Louison, respectively: Jean-Claude Dreyfus, and Dominique Pinon, sometimes known as the man with the rubber face, due to his eccentric and expressive features.

If you watch this film, let me know in the comments what you thought.  Either way, I'd love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)