"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Beauty of the Artist

I know I haven't been a very good blogger lately, and I apologize.  I don't want to bore you all with my random thoughts, but, the more I think about it, you guys (and gals) have signed up to follow my blog (hopefully) because you don't mind my ramblings.  So, I'm going to try and post more, even if it's just to ramble and rant a little.

I was watching some Jerome Pradon videos on YouTube, and a thought came to me.  It always amazing me when I find an artistic piece (song, movie, video clip, painting, quote, etc.) that really stirrs me to the core; that awakens something within me.  I always come away from the experience feeling a little changed.  I think that's the most beautiful aspect of art: the ability to change, to transform, to make the mundane less so, and to leave you better than you were before.  It depresses me that so many people use art in a negetive way, using talents for smut and crap.  Although, I guess it does make the beauty of former all the more beautiful; all the more magnified. (Not that I'm condoning it, of course).

I've always wanted to be a writer.  But, I didn't just want to be your dime-a-dozen-mass-market-paperback-grocery-store-potboiler variety of author.  I wanted my writing to transform the reader.  Lately, I've felt as though my writing has been mediocre; not that the writing itself is poor, but that the topics are mediocre.  I have one novella that I've been working on (but my inspiration dried up) and I think that if I could finish it, it would be an amazing piece.  It's personal at points, and detatched at others, but it is, by far, the best writing I've ever done.  I want to write about that more, but I can't seem to find my muse for that piece.

Perhaps, if I watch some more videos; listen to the lyrics of so many songs; think about people, and places, and things; what could be and what could have been; then, perhaps I'll get my muse back.  In the meantime, I want to envelop myself in the beauty of other artists' creations, and bide my time with my own.

5 comments:

  1. i hope you find your muse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your description of art.
    Good luck with your writing!

    When you finish it, will we get to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe sometime, Robby. My only fear is that it can be a bit personal at times, and I don't know how much I want people to know what's going on in my mind, haha. So, I guess that's why people use pen names, lol.

    But, I'll consider posting it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop worrying about what everyone thinks Emmy, take a risk :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tom! Your honest words of wisdom always encourage me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)