"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Spring 2012 Booklist....

This is for Robby, who asked what books I was reading for classes this semester.  For some freak reason, Blogger is not letting me comment on my own blog, even though everyone else can....So, instead of posting in the comments, I decided to just make this its own blog post :)

  • The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters (Barnes)
  • Midnight's Children (Rushdie)
  • Wise Children (Carter)
  • French Lieutenant's Woman (Fowles)
  • Oranges are Not the Only Fruit (Winterson)
  • Farewell to Arms (Hemingway)
  • Tender is the Night (Fitzgerald)
  • The Sound and the Fury (Faulkner)
  • A Good Man is Hard to Find (O'Connor)
  • Lolita (Nabokov)
  • Beloved (Morrison)
  • Age of Innocence (Wharton)
  • Moll Flanders (Defoe)
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling (Fielding)
  • Pride and Prejudice (Austen)
  • The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (Sterne)
  • Humphry Clinker (Smollett)
Looks like I'm in for an exciting semester :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow! The only book on that list that I have read is Pride and Prejudice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Robby...

    I sort of read Pride and Prejudice back in high school. I say "sort of" since I mostly skimmed it to pass the test. I don't know why I didn't just read it.

    Our teacher read the first couple of chapters aloud to us....and every time I attempt to read P&P, I just hear his awful falsetto interpretation of Mrs. Bennet. Maybe that's why I never finished the book?

    Anyway, I'm hoping to read it for real this time around, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read four on your list. I'm going top make a copy... try to read along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Steven Cain...

    Which ones have you read already? And what did you think of them?

    I'll be sure to post which books I'm reading as they're assigned so that you can read along with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ashamed... P&P is the only one I've read (admittedly 3 times)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no shame in that...it just means you're a smart boy picking up wooing tips from Mr Darcy ^^

      Delete
  6. I've heard of about 70% of these, although read almost none (my reading has been divided between French and non-fiction as I search for a senior thesis...) but Flannery O'Connor is jolly good fun...I have a biography of her that I can bring in if you like. Nevin gave it to me :) Pride and Prejudice takes time, but it's a rewarding read-through, although I'm shocked they didn't pick a different Austen novel, because there are other good ones that 90% of the world doesn't read for high school/a lower level college class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a heavy reading list! I just picked up my school books and although i have quite a few, most are pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Evan Ritchie...
    Don't feel bad; I didn't even finish P&P...

    @Gabrielle Sidonie...
    Same; I've heard of about 70-80%, but I haven't read any of them. (although, I ALSO haven't been reading French and non-fiction in the meantime) :P

    @Sarahkasper...
    Anything that looks really exciting? We might need to exchange titles later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for my Civil War and Reconstruction class! Yes, we do need to exchange titles.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)