"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finding Odysseus

Okay...So I know I haven't posted too many literary thoughts lately, but today, the moment has presented itself. My official student status is that of an English Major/ Classical Studies Minor, and so the Classical Mythology course I'm taking perfectly supplements both requirements. For the past few weeks, we've been reading The Odyssey by Homer. And, I think I've found my Odysseus....

It's not like I put him into this position on purpose, or that I was looking for someone to play the role in my mind's eye as I read, but it seemed that one day, I just looked up and *poof!* he just slipped into the character so perfectly! This, however, is different from how things went down with Willoughby. For Willoughby, I consciously slipped him into that role, because he was the embodiment of the character. For my Odysseus, I can't say if he would be the perfect man for the role, but there's something about him that makes him so fascinating; just like Odysseus has always been.

Do I like him? I really can't tell you that. Perhaps? Maybe he just makes me really happy when he's around, and that's all there is to it; nothing more. But, he's quirky and funny...and I love to listen to his voice...

~"Penelope"


"I am Odysseus son of Laertes, known before all men for the study of crafty designs, and my fame goes up to the heavens." ~The Odyssey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)