"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sick and Searching for English Translations

Being sick for the past three days, I've had plenty of time to sit around and reflect on literature (can't say I'm complaining, but I wish the sore throat would go away...) But, I can't seem to be able to keep my attention on ONE book, or even TWO books...I've been jumping back and forth between no less than FIVE! D: And, to be honest, I'm a little tired of it...I really just want to be able to settle down and enjoy one piece of literature, and one only! Does anyone have a recommendation for me? *hopeful expression on face* Also, does anyone know if there is an English translation of either Voyage au bout de la Nuit by CĂ©line, or Les Fleurs du Mal by Baudelaire? A French friend recommended both to me, and since I can't speak or read French to save my life, I have no hope of reading two wonderful literary works, and it greatly saddens me... :'( Please be merciful on a pitiful English Major with no hope of learning a foreign language!

2 comments:

  1. http://fleursdumal.org/ -> has some english translations of Baudelaires Fleurs du Mal
    maybe that's still available in your area: http://books.google.at/books?id=ej8UFPHq0l4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=baudelaire+flowers+of+evil&source=bl&ots=vzjqckYaIs&sig=fc94auSYciJDdGTFDIgCxDlOHLY&hl=de&ei=ApW_S6nNHoqtOJO_7ZYE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

    If you are interested in biographies I stronly recomment you Simone de Beauvoirs Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter or Antonia S. Byatts Obsession (which is a literature thriller, if you will). Anything of Jasper Fforde is fine either :) If you already read Jane Eyre, "The Eyre Affair" would be very enjoyable.
    http://www.jasperfforde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fabulea...

    The wonderful Roomie was actually able to find me a bi-lingual copy of Le Fleur de Mal in the campus library. :) I'm totally going to check out your other recommendations, though! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)