"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Latin Wednesday

Hello, and welcome to the first ever Latin Wednesday! (applause and cheering) Well, actually, this is not the start of weekly Latin quotes or anything...I just have a passage from Martial that we had to translate for class today, and I kinda wanted to post it. Enjoy!

Languēbam: sed tū comitātus prōtinus ad mē
vēnisti centum, Symmache, discipulīs.
Centum mē tetigēre manūs aquilōne gelātae:
nōn habuī febrem, Symmache, nunc habeō!

And, I'm guessing that not everyone knows, Latin, so I'm going to attempt to translate this. Please understand that I don't have the "perfect" translation that we went over in class, so what I'm providing is a bit rough...So, please don't smite me down, O gods of Latin! I'm only an Classical Studies Minor!

I was weak: but you attended to me immediately
and brought your hundred students, Symmacus.
One hundred hands chilled by the North Wind touched me:
I did not have a fever, Symmacus, but now I do!

Poor Martial :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)