"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Today was my Tuesday library run, and while there, I found a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I even managed to snag an edition that is sure to be a total treat for a devoted bookworm/history buff such as myself; it's just bursting with annotations and notes about the book itself and the history of the time period, importance of names, etc. I've only read the introduction so far (twenty glorious pages) and I've learned so much about Stevenson, his life, his family, the creation of this book, and predecessors that might have inspired it's creation. This is the stuff that I love! The history, the little tidbits and facts...this is what makes a book so exciting! I'm going to have to check out this series for more annotated versions of the classics; they enrich the reading experience.

Speaking of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, there are a few videos I wanted to post along with this. The first two are from the musical Jekyll and Hyde (an amazing production) and the last one is from one of my favorite TV shows when I was little: Arthur. (Yes, I know I'm too old for that show, and I don't watch it anymore, but the song is very catchy and picking up the book reminded me of it).






3 comments:

  1. Yay for the Ouran clips from the first video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Arthur is still my favorite show. I own the video when the Backstreet Boys come to town. Also, I have the DVD of the musical episode that has your last clip. "Having fun isn't hard, when you've got a library card!" Truer words have never been spoken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chess...

    I'm sorry, hun! I didn't mean to offend you. I used to LOVE watching Arthur, in fact, I watched it well into high school. What actually changed for me was that it was on at the same time as Judge Judy, and I've actually become a huge fan of her show these past few years. My passsion for Arthur just was put on the back burner. Perhaps, I should start watching again?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)