"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Friday, June 18, 2010

Little Bird

Today, we had a surprise "visitor" of sorts. A beautiful little bird flew into my front window and lay dazed on the porch. I probably watched that bird for about an hour, just to make sure that it was okay, hoping that it was just stunned and not seriously injured. Luckily, about an hour and a half was all it took before the poor thing stopped shaking and panting, pulled itself together, and started searching for bugs in the mulch in front of the porch. I think it's going to be okay :)







I've never seen this type of bird before, but its interesting that it would be the one to fly into our window, and not one of the gazillion robins or blue jays we have flying around. (And if anyone knows what this little beauty is, please tell me! I have no idea what kind of bird it could be.

(Oh, and don't worry about the red marks on its wings...since the markings are consistant on both sides, I'm convinced that its just the natural markings on the bird, like the yellow on the tail).

3 comments:

  1. I'll see if I can find it in my bird book tomorrow.
    SWMBO has a way with wild life and 20 years ago a bird did a similar thing only it flew into a the back window of a camper shell. She picked it up and nursed it for a good while probably about 40 minutes until it seemed to be OK. In the end it seemed quite happy clutching her finger as she waited patiently then it took a long look into her eyes and flew to a tree in the yard. Happy ending to a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a Cedar Waxwing. Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I googled "Cedar Waxwing" and that is definitely the right bird! Thnak you so much!

    And that is such a touching story about SWMBO and the bird :) I think that's wonderful. I wish I would have thought to do more for the bird, rather than just watching it out the window. (I didn't want to scare it).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)