"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Actors


Two Shakespearean actors, lots of money, two parties who have never met each other, and a dangerous plan. Dylan Moran and Michael Caine star in the hilarious movie The Actors as Thomas Quirk and Anthony O'Malley.

Bit-actor Tom Quirk (Moran) is down on his luck; his auditions fall through, he can't act well enough to achieve a leading role in any of his plays, and his house just burned down. As he sinks to his lowest point, his friend and mentor, fellow actor Anthony O'Malley (Caine) offers an interesting proposition. While doing some research on villains for his production of Richard III, he learns about a debt between two crime lords, but with a twist; neither parties have met before. O'Malley suggests that they step in as the receiving party and take the money for themselves. With the help of Tom's nine year old niece Mary, they attempt to pull off the biggest impersonation of their careers.

Both actors are amazing, although, I must say I think that Dylan Moran was really the star actor of the movie. His various characters throughout the course of the show are hilarious and volatile, but he's able to slip into each one with very little effort.

A few things...First, sadly, this Irish film is only available in Region 2, so for all of my American readers, I'm sorry to say that its not one of those movies we can run and pick up at the library :( I did however, manage to find it on YouTube, so if you don't mind having to transition between the videos like I did, then you can still enjoy it. (Just search under the actors dylan moran and it should be the first thing to come up). Second, there is a TON of swearing. Normally, that doesn't bother me, but when every other word is an "f-bomb," then it can become a bit distasteful. Swearing aside, however, this is one of the funniest movie's I've seen in a long time! I'd highly recommend it ;)

1 comment:

  1. I almost never swear (unless I'm quoting), but I find myself less offended when the British swear. Of course, us Aussies are used to more swearing on TV than you Yanks.

    I remember seeing The Actors on TV. I can't remember much about it...

    Thanks for the refresher!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)