"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Odysseus 2

I waited for you on the rocky outcroppings;
sitting on the rocks before the ships
as they sailed in and out of the bay.
And I planted a prayer in my heart
that I would find you at your haunting.

And you came.

I said a prayer to Jove that you would see me;
look up on the rock face
and notice I was there;
but your eyes did not stray in my direction.

I whispered your name onto the wind
and you heard my voice and came to me.

I could listen to you talk for hours,
Odysseus, my love;
but the tide called you away,
"I have sails to mend," you told me,
"But I will come back when I have them,
and sit with you a little longer."

You returned with sails for mending,
and I watched you from the rocky cliff,
watched you work and then
rest in the golden sand.

And you made me smile.

***

The cafe was dark, barely lit,
but you came and found me anyways,
and filled the room with light
by your presence, and your music.
And I listened, barely able
to hear the notes,
but it was beautiful because it was you.

And again, you saw me, Odysseus.
But you did not turn away
as I thought you would.
It would have been so easy to forget
that I was there.

But you came to me.

And you filled me with joy
at the sound of your voice;
and I felt so honored that you,
Odysseus, the king among men,
would choose to be in my presence;
Me, Penelope,
a girl of the kingdom, an acquaintance,
not even a friend or a lover.

And my heart sang the melody you played
in that little cafe.

And you made me smile.

1 comment:

  1. [im] ghoS Daq jaH [makeout] tlhej wIj [boyfriend] DaH 'ej [ignore] nuq SoH [just] ja'ta' *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)