"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Friday, May 28, 2010

Bike Ride and British Comedy

Today, to celebrate the first day of summer vacation (for my brother) I decided it would be fun to ride our bikes up to the library. It was a beautiful day; not too hot or too cold and the breeze was just right. We made it there in about half an hour, but we didn't stay for very long. Our problem was that we could only check out what we could carry back, and since I was the only one who brought a backpack (and a small one at that-- more of a purse than a backpack), we could only check out a few items. We ended up with the full collection of episodes from the BBC One series Blackadder, starring Rowen Atkinson.

Neither of us have watched this series before, but for the last few summers, my brother and I have started a tradition of sorts. We watch one movie every weekend, and British comedies during the week. I know it might sound silly, but there is something about the British sense of humor that we just love! So far, we've watched all of A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster. We've made a slight dent in the collections of Monty Python and Mr. Bean; Blackadder is untouched as of yet, and we're almost done with Fawlty Towers.

Those are the only series that we know of as of yet, so if anyone knows of another British comedy series that is a must see, then please let me know!

5 comments:

  1. first i just want to say blackadder is one of the best things i've ever seen, the first series is the weekest but it just gets better and better from there.
    i also recommend 'black books' and 'spaced' oh and have you ever seen 'shaun of the dead'? (its a film) let me know if you want anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Must see... Lemme think. I think I'll give you some modern ones to check out: The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, The Vicar of Dibley, My Family (1st season, preferably), Peep Show. In that order.

    Actually, the best British show around isn't a comedy. Life on Mars (The original UK version) is amazing. Be warned, you yanks got an American remake. Urgh! Us Australians got both. The American one stank to high heaven.

    The follow-up show to Life on Mars, called Ashes to Ashes, is also great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I went to the library today too!! I got the first season of Arrested Development, because apparently I've been "missing something vital" in my life, so I decided to remedy that. Your tradition sounds fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Javmango...

    Thank you so much! I had already gone to the library today, but I got on the online catlog and requested them ;)

    (Requesting items at the library is weird...if I picked one, it would either have a HUGE waiting list or get lost forever *ominous music*. If I request several at once, then they will all come in within three weeks. I don't know how that happens :P)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TheSovietChairman...

    I can't wait to check these out, too! Once I'm finished with Javmango's list, I'll start to work on yours (or maybe I'll mix them together...that might work even better!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)