"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tree Frog

Since I mentioned the poetry reading, a couple people have expressed a desire to see some of my poetry, so here is just a quick one that I wrote about a guy I used to like. I hope you guys like it. Please give me feedback on it! Thanks :)

The last time I saw you,
I saw a frog.
The curve of your lip, so amphibian,
The fishy look in your eye, like a toad
Or halibut; all so froggy, froggish, frog.

I once thought you were handsome
I didn’t see the bug-eyed look on your face,
The way that your voice sounded so much like
Ribbit, ribbit ribbit, croak;
Your large mouth so constantly open
That you could catch flies in that thing.

They say that love is blind,
And I would know; I ignored all the
Warning signs, the funny looks from my
Friends.
That’s the guy? They ask; and I nod
No one bothered to tell me you looked like a frog
(Not until after you broke me apart.)
And I laughed. Ribbit ribbit.

Once, I watched you climb the
Cherry blossom tree
And saw you framed with pearly pink petals
And you were almost angelic; most heroic
Your tan skin flanked by blue sky and
Cherry blossom flowers.

Does this mean that you are a prince?
Or a tree frog?

4 comments:

  1. That's so great. But it's true. Half the beauty in a guy is what only you see in him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emmily, I love it. Do you mind that it made me laugh at least three times. Except for the 'broke me apart' part...sad...I'm sorry.

    'Ribbet, ribbet ribbet, croak;'...I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but that is the perfect amount of ribbets...perfectly spaced...And then the croak!...I would love to hear you read this one.

    You paint a pretty picture of him in the Cherry Blossom Tree. Like the use of the word 'flanked'...ties in well with your 'Prince' question.

    Bravo! Another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Steven Cain...

    Oh, Steven! Thank you :) Your comment absolutly made my day! I'm glad you liked the poem :) It was very satisfying to write, let me tell you! This guy really does look like a frog, though, and I never realized it until the wonderful Roomie told me so, hehe. I'll definetly try and post more, if you liked this one, and as for reading it aloud, I could try and record myself reading it...that might work...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like this, epic poem. its also an interesting way of dealing with things. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)