"Take no heed of her...She reads a lot of books."
~Jasper Fforde


Monday, May 10, 2010

Pavlov's Emmy

Yeah, so as the title might suggest, I've been studying for my Psychology final recently. Also, as the title suggests, I had a embarrassing discovery today. I was at lunch, seated between Kiity and Professor Thomas, and as usual, both were trying to make me extremely uncomfortable and jumpy by poking me in the ribs. (Yes, dear readers, I am a bit ticklish...)

Well, after their having done this to me for so long, apparently, I've developed this condition where I will jump and emit an embarrassing, high-pitched squeal before they poke me, just as I would when they poke me. Professor Thomas was quite pleased with this discovery, and then went on to explain to Kiity and the Roomie (as though he were teaching a Psychology course, with me as the test subject) that if you observe, the gesture and threats of poking have now become a conditioned response. Basically, I'll jump and squeal if you poke me; and now, if either of them simply makes the move to poke me, I'll do the same exact thing. Murr...

The only thing that I can say is that this has strengthened my understanding of Classical Conditioning, and if nothing else, I'm sure to ace that portion of the final. Still, this does nothing for my sense of pride :P

5 comments:

  1. I happen to be THE most ticklish person ever. My ex used to hold both my wrists in one hand and tickle me with the other. I have never felt so helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Chess...Welcome to the club? For the record, I HATE being so ticklish, especially since my friends take such an unfair advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you're not little Albert...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Miles D...

    Are you sure? I panic whenever anyone points at me now! :P (just kidding, just kidding...but yes, you are right. I have that much to be thankful for!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so hate when people poke me in the side...I totally convulse.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to comment ;)